Monday, November 25, 2013

Sewing: Pillowcase

Today I am going to show you how to make a pillowcase.  Sewing a pillowcase is easy and a good beginner project! First off the materials you will need are: Sewing machine, thread, good fabric scissors, fabric, pins, and an iron. The best place for fabric I have found is in the Remnants bin at fabric stores!  Especially if you are making small projects like this. In fact this is the only project I will be able to get out of this fabric.

Sewing Station


 
Here I drew a diagram to show you which side we are working on and the dimensions.
First you will want to cut your fabric. I cut 2 pieces of fabric 34" x 22".  This can be different if you are making a different sized pillowcase.  What I did is I took an existing pillowcase and took the dimensions of it.  Take a look at the post-it note I put above with numbered sides so you know which side we are working on. Add 5 inches to the long side(2&4), and 3 inches to the short side(1&3). (my example pillowcase measured 29" x 19")  You will want to iron these 2 pieces so they are not wrinkled.
My cut fabric
 From here on out you will do identical sewing to the 2 pieces. Do not sew them together yet!  On one short side (side 1), fold the fabric over 1/2 inch and iron to form a crease. This part will be the opening of your pillowcase! Repeat for other piece of fabric, exactly the same way.

Ironed with 1/2 inch crease
Then, go to your sewing machine and sew a straight line over your crease. (Side 1) I suggest back stitching at the beginning and end to 'lock' your stitches in place. Repeat for other piece of fabric, exactly the same way.

Sewing- make note of the guide lines on sewing machine they make it easy to sew a straight line!

Hem from other side

 Then, fold the hemmed side (side 1) over 3-4 inches and iron to form a crease. Repeat for other piece of fabric, exactly the same way.
 Sew again over the same line of stitches you made before (side 1)- only this time you are sewing another  crease.  Repeat for other piece of fabric, exactly the same way.  Essentially now you will have a rectangle of fabric with a tube on the top. The reason we sewed it twice is so now on the inside of the pillowcase, you have a nice clean opening that will not fray. (The raw edges are tucked inside the first line of sewing we did)
 Then, put the 2 pieces together with the colored side on the INSIDE. Now, pin the pieces together on the 3 other sides (sides 2, 3, & 4). Sew straight lines on all 3 sides (2, 3, & 4) Trim off any additional fabric. You can use a Serger here to sew them together if you wish but I just used plain straight lines. Don't forget to take your pins out when you are done
Turn your pillowcase inside out and admire!  Put it on a pillow! Mine turned out a little large, which happens when you don't use a pattern.  I've actually never used a pattern...I've made pillowcases, lunch bag for bento box, phone pouch, and other small things. Good luck and show me a picture of your masterpiece when you finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment